Joseph Jackson (1886-1915)
Weardale labourer killed in action with the 15th DLI
Private Joseph Jackson was born on 6 February 1886, son of Joseph and Mary Jackson of Harthopeburn in Stanhope. He had a sister, Emma, and three brothers, Jonathan, Walter and William. He was admitted to Saint John’s Chapel School on 20 April 1891. In the 1911 census he was 25, single, living with his parents and working as a ganister quarryman, presumably in the Harthope ganister quarry. Ganister is a type of sandstone that is found in the area.
He signed attestation papers for general service on 16 September 1914 having served 4 years with the 6th (Territorial) Battalion Durham Light Infantry (DLI). Territorials were called up on the outbreak of war, but were not obliged to serve overseas unless they signed up for General Service.
Joseph embarked for France with the 15th Battalion Durham Light Infantry (DLI) in September 1915. His unit number was 19665. Shortly after his arrival, Joseph suffered a bullet wound in the head and was transferred back to England on 15 October for medical treatment. It is likely that he was wounded during the fighting near Loos, where his unit and many other New Army battalions suffered casualties.
He died of his wounds in the 1st Eastern General Hospital Cambridge on 18 December 1915 and was buried in the churchyard at Saint John’s Chapel on 22 December 1915.
He was awarded the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.
Civil Parish: Stanhope
Birth date: 06-Feb-1886
Death date: 18-Dec-1915
Armed force/civilian: Army
Residence: Harthopeburn, Stanhope
Education: Saint John’s Chapel School from 1891
Employment: Ganister quarryman
Family: Father: Joseph Jackson
Mother: Mary Jackson
Brothers: Jonathan, William, Walter
Private in 15th Battalion, Number 19665, Durham Light Infantry.
Served in France from September 1915 until wounded in October 1915.
Died from wounds in December 1915
Medal(s): 1914/15 Star
British War Medal
Memorial(s): Saint John’s Chapel churchyard
Saint John’s Chapel, village green, war memorial
Saint John’s Chapel, town hall, roll of honour
Contributed by John B | Mel Brown