Mission Hall, Evesham Road, Seaham
22nd Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital
The Mission Hall at (New) Seaham was used as the 22nd Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital during the First World War. It has since been demolished.
The following information comes from records held at the archives at the Museum of the Order of St John, and is used with their kind permission. Reference OSJ/1/1/12/17:
The Mission House Hospital, New Seaham
September 14th 1917
Commandant: Mrs Swallow
Hospital: This is a house kindly lent by the churchwardens of Christ Church, New Seaham, for the purpose of a hospital.
Beds: 25 beds in
Trained staff: 1 Sister-in-Charge
Massage: There is no trained masseuse at this hospital.
VADs: 12 work in shifts. All live out with the exception of one.
Paid help: 1 Cook
Remarks: This little convalescent is in good order. There are all the necessary conveniences for patients, who are well cared for and happy, and the staff.
Signed: SA Swift
For further information:
Museum of the Order of St John http://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/
VAD Hospitals in Northumberland and Durham 1914-1918 http://www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html
Scarlet Finders http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/181.html
Civil Parish: Dalton le Dale
Contributed by Durham County Council Archaeology Section | Durham County Record Office
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.