Shotley House Cottage, Shotley Bridge
16th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital
Built as Shotley House circa 1860 for J. Priestman. Shotley House was used as the 16th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital during the First World War.
The following information comes from records held at the archives at the Museum of the Order of St John, and is used with their kind permission. Reference OSJ/1/1/12/13:
VAD Hospital, Shotley House, Shotley
September 15th 1917
Commandant: Miss Walton Wilson
Hospital: This is a house which has been lent for the purpose of a hospital by C Laing Esq
Beds: 40 beds in
6 wards, also a surgery
Trained staff: 1 Sister-in-Charge
Massage: 1 visiting Masseuse
VADs: 7 work in shifts. All live out and are unable to give full time.
Paid help: 1 Kitchen maid
1 House maid
Remarks: This little convalescent hospital is in good order and has every convenience. There is a good garden, recreation room, and mess room. The food and cooking arrangements are good.
Signed: SA Swift
J Rowsell, an online contributor to Durham at War, reported that John Cairns was a patient here. No further details were given.
For further information:
Museum of the Order of St John http://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/
VAD Hospitals in Northumberland and Durham 1914-1918 http://www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html
Scarlet Finders http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/181.html
Civil Parish: Benfieldside
Contributed by Durham County Council Archaeology Section | Durham County Record Office
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.