Windlestone Hall, Rushyford, County Durham
19th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital
Windlestone Hall was used during the First World War as the 19th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital. Has been completely demolished.
The following information comes from records held at the archives at the Museum of the Order of St John, and is used with their kind permission. Reference OSJ/1/1/12/15:
VAD Hospital, Windlestone Park, Ferryhill
September 17th 1917
Commandant: The Lady Eden
Hospital: This is the private house of Lady Eden, kindly lent for the purpose of a hospital.
Beds: 50 beds in
Trained staff: 2 Sisters
VADs: 4 living in. Weekly shifts.
Paid help: 2 Maids
Remarks: A wing of this house has been set aside for the purpose of a hospital. The wards are light and airy, and there is every convenience for the patients. There is a good recreation room. The stores department is in good order, also an excellent garden.
Signed: SA Swift
For further information:
Museum of the Order of St John http://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/
VAD Hospitals in Northumberland and Durham 1914-1918 http://www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html
Scarlet Finders http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/181.html
Civil Parish: Windlestone
Contributed by Durham County Council Archaeology Section | Durham County Record Office
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.