Brancepeth Castle, Brancepeth
7th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital. Listed building
Brancepeth Castle was used as the 7th Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital during the First World War.
The archives at the Museum of the Order of St John (http://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/) hold some records concerning VAD hospitals in County Durham. The following information is from this collection: ref OSJ/1/1/12/7
No 7 VAD Hospital, Brancepeth Castle, Durham
14 September 1917
Commandant: The Honorable Eustace Russel
Hospital: This is the private house of Viscount Boyne, kindly lent for the purpose of a hospital.
Beds: 126 Beds in
8 Small huts
2 Isolation wards, also a surgery
Trained staff: 1 sister-in-charge
Massage: 1 masseuse (living in)
VADs: 8 work in shifts, 4 live in
Paid help: This is supplied by the private services
Remarks: This hospital is in a wing of this loverly house and is in excellent order. There is every comfort and convenience. A good recreation and mess room. Revolving huts have been erected in the grounds.
Signed: SA Swift
VAD Hospitals in Northumberland and Durham 1914-1918
Brancepeth’s First World War Project
Civil Parish: Brancepeth
Contributed by Durham County Council Archaeology Section | Durham County Record Office