Lumley Castle, Chester-le-Street
Potential Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital
A few days after the outbreak of war, Lord Scarbrough offered his property, Lumley Castle, to be used as a hospital or convalescent home for wounded soldiers (his main residence was Sandbeck Park, Rotherham). Lord Scarbrough, Aldred Frederick George Beresford Lumley, had served in the army and at this time was the chairman of the West Riding Territorial Association.
Lumley Castle didn’t become a hospital as the authorities did not consider it to be suitable premises. The correspondence regarding this decision can be found in the supporting items.
In August 1917, Lady Londonderry took up temporary residence at the castle. Her own property of Seaham Hall was being used as the 28th VAD Hospital.
Civil Parish: Chester le Street
Contributed by Daniel H | Durham County Record Office