Whinney House, Gateshead
1st Durham Voluntary Aid Detachment Hospital
The following information comes from records held at the archives at the Museum of the Order of St John, and is used with their kind permission. Reference OSJ/1/1/12/2 (In these records, and on Historic England, the building is called Winney House):
Winney House St. John Hospital, Gateshead
September 15th 1917
Commandant: Mrs Palmer
Hospital: This is a house which has been kindly lent by Colonel E Joicey, for the purpose of a hospital.
Beds: 110 beds in
Trained staff: 1 Matron
Massage: 1 Masseuse (paid)
VADs: 20 work in shifts. 2 living in.
Paid help: 2 Charwomen
Remarks: This hospital is in excellent order. There is every comfort and convenience for the patients and staff. The patients are drawn from No. 1 Northern General, Newcastle.
Signed: SA Swift
For further information:
Museum of the Order of St John http://museumstjohn.org.uk/research/st-john-archive/
VAD Hospitals in Northumberland and Durham 1914-1918 http://www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html
Scarlet Finders http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/181.html
Historic England https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1248548
Civil Parish: Gateshead
Contributed by Durham County Record Office
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.