Hilda Tweddle Terry (1892-1957)
Woman who studied at St Hild’s teacher training college and served with the WAACs
Hilda Tweddle Terry was born on 15 January 1892 in West Hartlepool. She was baptised a few months later on 17 March in Stranton, Hartlepool. Her father was William Terry, a clergyman for the Church of England originally from Keighley, Yorkshire. Her mother was Sarah Terry nee Tweddle from Knarsdale, Northumberland. William and Sarah married on 29 March 1877 in Knarsdale.
Hilda had three sisters and one brother. Her younger sister Clara was born in Bampton, suggesting the Terry family moved from West Hartlepool to Bampton sometime between 1892 and 1898. At the time of the 1901 census the family were living at Marsdale Vicarage in Bampton, Westmorland.
Hilda’s mother died in 1907. Her father William remarried the following year on 13 September 1908. He married a widow, Mary Jane Lister in Keighley. At this time William was still a clergyman living at Marsdale Vicarage.
Hilda was a pupil at the Elementary School in Mardale, before going on to attend the Clergy Daughter’s School, Casterton. She then became an assistant at Ulverston Council School. In 1911 Hilda was studying at St Hild’s Training College for School Mistresses in Durham. After completing this training she was appointed as a teacher at Deaf Hill Council School, near Trimdon. She left this school on 30 May 1913 to begin teaching at a school in Ambleside.
During the war Hilda served as part of the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC). The St Hild’s college magazine from 1917-1918 records her as an assistant administrator attached to the Royal Flying Corps (RFC) camp in Montrose, Scotland.
In September 1920 Hilda began teaching at Chipping Campden Grammar school. At the time of the 1939 census she was still teaching at this school, living with another teacher at The Yews, North Colstwald Road, Gloucestershire. She remained at this school until July 1953 and died on 17 August 1957. The school website gives more information and pictures of Hilda: http://www.chippingcampdenschool.org.uk/content/explore-the-archive/staff/teaching-staff/miss-hilda-terry
Civil Parish: Durham
Birth date: 15-Jan-1892
Death date: 17-Aug-1957
Armed force/civilian: Air Force
Residence: West Hartlepool (Birthplace)
Marsdale Vicarage, Bampton, Westmorland (1901 census)
St Hild’s Training College, Durham (1911 census)
The Yews, North Cotswold Road, Gloucestershire (1939 census)
Education: Elementary School, Mardale
Clergy Daughter’s School, Casterton
St Hild’s Training College for school mistresses, Durham
Employment: Assistant, Ulverston Council School
Teacher, Deaf Hill Council School
Teacher, Chipping Campden Grammar school (1920-1953)
Family: Parents: William Terry, Sarah Terry nee Tweddle
Step-mother: Mary Jane Terry nee Lister
Siblings: Mary A Terry, Lilian Terry, Arthur Terry, Clara Margaret Terry
Contributed by Fiona Johnson - Durham
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.