Henry George Hastings Shaddick (1883-1944)
Chaplain to the 6th Battalion DLI
Henry George Hastings Shaddick was born on 19 April 1883 in Barnstaple. His father was John Jones Shaddick, originally from Tawstock, who was listed as a pattern maker in the 1891 census. His mother was Elizabeth Ellen Shaddick, nee Bennett, originally from Totnes. His parents married on 25 July 1861 in Amberley, Gloucestershire. Henry was the sixth out of seven children born to John and Elizabeth. He had two brothers and four sisters. In 1891 he was living with his parents and three of his siblings in Barnstaple.
It is unclear where Henry was living in 1901. He studied at Durham University and was ordained in 1910. He was made Curate of Stanhope in 1910 and at the time of the 1911 census, Henry was living at 6 Dales Street in Stanhope. The census suggests he was boarding with Annie Wedgwood, a widow, and her two children.
Henry married Ellen Lilian Cawsey on 27 August 1913 in Barnstaple. The couple had two girls, both born in Weardale; Lilian Jean Shaddick born in 1914 and Audrey Hastings Shaddick in 1917.
Henry was appointed as chaplain to the Territorial Army 4th class on 1 May 1912. Henry entered the theatre of war in France on 19 April 1915. He served as part of the Army Chaplain’s Department (ACD) for the 6th Battalion Durham Light Infantry (DLI). At some point during 1915 Henry also served as chaplain for the 8th Battalion DLI. University records state he served at the 9th Casualty Clearing Station during 1915 and 1917 and then at General headquarters in Italy during 1917 and 1919. He was promoted to chaplain 3rd class as part of the 50th Division on 4 August 1918. He was mentioned twice in despatches and was awarded an OBE in 1919.
After the war, he was retained as chaplain to the forces and served in this capacity during World War Two. Between 1922 and 1940, Henry was a vicar in New Shildon, St Michael and All Angel’s church in South Shields and St Andrew’s church in Haughton le Skerne, Darlington. The following website gives more information about Henry and some photos of him: http://www.haughtonhub.co.uk/local-history/shaddicks-history-of-haughton/reverend-henry-george-hastings-shaddick.aspx
Reverend Henry George Shaddick became Honorary Canon of Durham Cathedral in 1940 and the Rural Dean of Darlington two years later.
Henry was awarded the Victory Medal, British War Medal and the 1914-15 Star for his Service during the war. He is remembered on the Roll of Honour for Durham University. He is also remembered on the Roll of Honour at the town hall in Stanhope, which he himself dedicated on 23 December 1921.
Henry died on 31 October 1944 at the Darlington Memorial Hospital, leaving his effects to his widow Ellen.
Durham University Roll of Honour:
Civil Parish: Stanhope Urban
Birth date: 19-Apr-1883
Death date: 31-Oct-1944
Armed force/civilian: Army
Residence: 27, Post Office, Barnstaple (1891 census)
6 Dales Street, Stanhope (1911 census)
The Rectory, Haughton-le-Skerne, Darlington
Education: Durham University
Religion: Church of England
Employment: Curate of Stanhope (1910)
Vicar in New Shildon (1922)
Vicar of St Michael and All Angel’s, South Shields (1927)
Vicar at St Andrew’s Church, Haughton le Skerne, Darlington (1937)
Honorary Canon – Durham cathedral (1940)
Rural Dean of Darlington (1942)
Family: Parents: John Jones Shaddick, Elizabeth Ellen Shaddick nee Bennett
Siblings: Charles John Shaddick, Henrietta Ellen Shaddick, Mary A Shaddick, Gertrude E. Bennett Shaddick, Annie Beatrice Shaddick, Francis H Shaddick
Spouse: Ellen L Shaddick, nee Cawsey
Children: Lilian Jean Shaddick, Audrey Hastings Shaddick
Army Chaplain’s Department
Chaplain 3rd class 50th Division
6th Battalion DLI
Medal(s): Victory Medal
British War Medal
Memorial(s): ROH 1914-1918 Town Hall, Stanhope
Roll of service 1914-1918, University of Durham
Contributed by Fiona Johnson - Durham
Comments on this story
Thanks for the information about the location of the memorial!
Jo Vietzke | Durham County Record OfficeReport abuse
The Roll of Honour at the town hall in Stanhope is no longer in the Town Hall as the internal fixtures & fittings have been removed & are held in storage at County Hall, Durham whilst a new home is being found at Stanhope