Add New Content

Please log in or register to add new content.


Report Inaccuracies

Mission for German Seamen, Sunderland

Second Oldest German Seaman's Mission in England

Type: Welfare Centre

Established in 1863, the German Seamen’s Mission in Sunderland was the second of its kind to be set up, Hull being the first in 1848. The Mission was intended to provide spiritual and physical care for sailors who came through the port of Sunderland. The Mission building was situated at 137 High Street East, Sunderland.

During the First World War, the pastor of the Mission, Paul Herzog, came under suspicion from the authorities.

The records of the Mission, which worked closely with the Seaman’s Mission at South Shields, can be found at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums (Reference number, C.SU68).

See also:
Sunderland in the First World War website:

Civil Parish: Sunderland

Contributed by Durham at War Team