Mission for German Seamen, Sunderland
Second Oldest German Seaman's Mission in England
Type: Welfare Centre
Established in 1863, the German Seamen’s Mission in Sunderland was the second of its kind to be set up, Hull being the first in 1848. The Mission was intended to provide spiritual and physical care for sailors who came through the port of Sunderland. The Mission building was situated at 137 High Street East, Sunderland.
During the First World War, the pastor of the Mission, Paul Herzog, came under suspicion from the authorities.
The records of the Mission, which worked closely with the Seaman’s Mission at South Shields, can be found at Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums (Reference number, C.SU68).
Sunderland in the First World War website:
Civil Parish: Sunderland
Contributed by Durham at War Team
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.