South Shields Seaplane Base
Defending the skies of the north east
The seaplane base was established in South Shields during the summer of 1916. The base was designated a depot for the receipt and preparation of seaplanes. As such it was at an advantageous distance between Killingworth, Lincolnshire and bases in Scotland to be used as a stopping off and re-fuelling point. Although its primary function was the maintenance of seaplanes a number of missions were also flown from the base.
Imperial War Museum recording of Air Vice-Marshal Christopher Neil Hope Bilney who served at the South Shields seaplane base as a young flying officer in the Royal Naval Air Service:
Reel 6, 14 minutes
Civil Parish: South Shields
Contributed by Durham County Record Office
Comments on this story
There are no comments on this story yet.